Tuesday, December 25, 2012

First day of vacation

After about five years I took train to go my home town. As expected I liked every single minute of those forty plus hours that I spent in the train. I did some chit chatting but for the better part of the journey I was just staring outside the window and reading a book. The book I was reading is awesome..Shantaram. I will write something about it once I will finish reading it...maybe even before that. For now let me jump on my first day at village.

I started the day at eight in the morning. Had a full glass of milk and then spent the next hour or so talking to my mother and others. For lunch I ate my favorite alu-gobhi sabji with rice. As you would expect from a foodie like me, I over ate :). In the afternoon I took a long stroll of about 2.5 hours. I must have walked about 10 kms.My hometown has not changed much in the last twenty years. There has been some superficial modernization but by far it is all same - half concrete and half mud roads, electricity for ten hours a day, and lazy and laid back life style and a lot shouting all over. The good thing that has not changed is when you step out of the village towards the fields then within 10 minutes you will find the peace. The kind peace you get at the banks of Ganga in Benares. The only sound that you hear there is of - the birds chirping, the water thrusting on the earth, the trees singing a song. The wheat and mustard crop in the fields made me nostalgic - reminding me of 1993 when I last spent about a month at village after my father expired. It is strange that I have not spent much time in my hometown after I grew up but still there is this calmness that brings me back home more than anything. On my past visits I have spent long hours in the fields. Not seeing anyone for hours and hours brings the calmness, courage and energy to think abstractly. Once settled I can force my mind to think about one thing and only one thing. At the end of it I feel inert and I just want to be in that state for sometime, for a longer time, forever.

It was dark at 5:45 itself and so I had to quickly return back home.

3 comments:

Ankur Chandra said...

Very well expressed thoughts KK...:)

Krishna Rai said...

Thank you. I am more keen to see your ( and others) comments on my latest post.

pks said...

Gud description of country side kk..