Friday, October 05, 2007

Potluck

Yep....finally I am writing about it. I thought writing about my experience with opening this dhaba many times but all my writings ended in unpublished drafts :-)
Here I go....It was last summer when Birla put the idea on the table. I was all excited after hearing the idea. We quickly drafted the plan and thought of accumulating the funds.....Oops!!! I was taken back by the huge money required for opening the restaurant.
I gave it a serious thought. What I truly want in life...money!!! the answer came more quickly than I expected. I had always believed and proved to myself that I can make handsome money through stocks. Then why should I park my money somewhere else?
There were many reasons why I went ahead with Potluck. First and foremost, I wanted to prepare myself for a bigger venture in future and for that, hands on experience with a business was a must. Secondly I know my various traits those cause me harm...for example overreacting, getting frowned every now and then, channeling my energy in wrong direction..etc...And I thought that being in business will help me in overcoming them (have I succeeded..mmmm...No!!!). Thirdly I love number crunching.
There were other reasons too...I would like to mention two of them, first, proving that in Bangalore you can have quality north Indian food cheaply.And second,the pleasure of employing people.
I must accept that I could not contribute in a big way in initial boot up. But once the shop was up, I have given every bit of my energy, thought and care to it. It was not smooth in the beginning and I ended up in kitchen rolling hundreds of rotis, making various juices and some times cleaning the utensils. But what has come easy way to me so far...nothing.
My near and dear ones were pissed off with my life routine for some time (probably they still are), sometimes I felt like sleeping on my bike while driving back at 11:45 PM in evening on my way back home from Potluck...and sometimes I cried in pain.
But I feel it was worth, it is worth and it will be worth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Krishna,

Hardwork always pays....
Wish you good luck for everything you do in future....
Do wel....

Best Regards

Birla said...

Krishna,

You forgot to mention the extra dowry you are going to get due to your newly acquired skills in the kitchen. You can invest that money back in the restaurant.

Birla

Krishna Rai said...

Dear Friend,
Thanks for your good wishes and comments.
I agree that "Hard work always pays" but more importantly "journey gives more satisfaction to me than the destination".
Love Always
KK