Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The bull behind outsourcing

Last weekend I met one of my college friend at his cousin's home. We started our talks from college days and then shifted to stock markets and finally got blocked at outsourcing.
To be frank I am not among the better brains to discuss this concept. But I am convinced that there is only one core reason in present world for outsourrcing to exist(and work). And that is getting cheap labour.
My friend's cousin was not convinced with my thought and his argument was that India is preferred location for softwarre companies because of its competency in computer skills. I agree to him but I fail to see how it forces Americans and Europians to give thier work to us. Do they have dearth of people to work on these things. And even if they do not have enough people to work on these things why they have chosen Indians to work for them. Because we are better among the second graderes in silicon wisdom and we are the cheapest.
Further, I do not see any reason why we will not have another country becoming the most preferred destination for outsourcing tommorrow. One does not have to be the blend of best brains for that. All that is requierd for becoming a good outsourcing destination is availability of dirt cheap labours, average communication skills and better among the poor computer literates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could never think about such post after going through your previous one but here I am the other one who think differently. I wouldn't like to explain how and why (because that discussion between us would never end as it happened at times in past too) but from your lines, it reflected that you don't want to believe that Indians are better at skills too. And that they have best of both worlds - Cheap labour and bright minds.

Relaxpoo... said...

Hi Krishna,

Just to add to what you said...
I believe that getting cheap labour is not the only reason to attract foreign
countries to Outsource their business to us...
there are other factors aswell,one of them is We are the only country who has
such a huge chunk of people speaking english though that can be rated as
average,Also being cheap in labour doesn't show we are the best...in such a
competitive world if you are not able to deliver the Quality its difficult to
maintain and retain yourself in the business...I feel its actually a blend of
talent,ability to deliver the best,the masses with good communication skills
And English as a widely spoken language etc ...I believe we are capable of delivering Quality in a
Cost-effective manner...that’s why we are the center of attraction for Outsourcing.

that’s all from myside..